David Irvine offers a wide range of products and services, from best-selling books, to life-changing personal and organizational coaching, to acclaimed keynotes presentations, workshops, and retreats.
David’s presentations and workshops provide inspiring, engaging, and results-based learning experiences. The topics listed below can be adapted to a keynote address, a three-hour seminar, a one-day session, or a three to five day retreat.
Every event is uniquely tailored to the specific audience he is addressing. Just as no two audiences are the same, no two of David’s presentations are the same.
David’s flexibility means together you build a customized life-changing development experience that goes beyond traditional “leadership training” so the event is relevant, meaningful, practical, and entertaining.
Send David’s team an email on his contact page and we will work with you to explore how he can assist you. This will include a complimentary half-hour chat with David.
David’s four most popular topics include:
- Building a High Performance Culture
- Authentic Leadership
- Accountability In An Age Of Entitlement
- Embracing Change
Additional topics also well-liked by David’s clients:
- The Art Of Caring Leadership
- Organizational Recovery In The Midst Of Layoffs
- Building Bridges Of Trust
- Authentic Leadership – Every Employee Is A Leader
- Becoming Real – Journey To Authenticity
- Succeeding As A Family Business
- Leaders As Coaches
- Board Governance And Leadership
- Raising Accountable Young People
BUILDING A HIGH PERFORMANCE CULTURE
The Power of Alignment
If you are committed to attract and retain the best talent, provide the best possible service to customers, get a grip on results that matter, remain profitable, and reach your fullest potential as an organization, then culture will be your most critical competitive advantage. This is because organizational culture trumps everything else in business.
After helping organizations build aligned, engaged cultures for more than a quarter century, the passion and promise in David Irvine’s work is to build cultures of trust that attract, inspire, and unleash greatness.
Take this rare opportunity to learn the essentials of organizational culture from one of Canada’s most respected voices on leadership and organizational culture. In this inspirational and thought-provoking session, David Irvine provides practical perspective and strategies to build an aligned, high performance organization that will unleash the potential of your people.
- Discover the power of alignment, and why organizational culture is the key to employee engagement, retention, motivation, accountability, and sustained commitment.
- Leave with practical ways to build a cohesive, engaged, high performance organization – that engenders trust, loyalty, safety, and ownership.
- Be inspired to be a Culture Maker™: a leader who defines, owns, and fosters a great culture around you, with or without a title.
It’s About PRESENCE, Not Position
Great leadership cannot be reduced to technique, position or power.
Great leadership comes from the strength of one’s authentic presence – the identity and integrity of the leader.
While you might get promoted to be a boss, you don’t get promoted to be a leader. Leadership isn’t something that you get from your title. Leadership – your capacity to influence others – is something you earn by the decisions you make and the actions you take. Leadership is about building trust, enrolling people in a compelling vision, engaging others, and achieving results through those you serve. Leadership is about accomplishing this with presence, not position.
Step back and gain a new perspective on leadership from one of Canada’s most respected voices on leadership and organizational culture. Based on David Irvine’s best-selling book, The Authentic Leader, you will be inspired by a new view of who you are as a leader and a fresh vision of leadership in today’s changing, demanding world.
- Learn the difference between a transactional boss and a transformational leader, and the true source of leadership power: your authentic, accountable presence.
- Discover how a strong leadership presence can inspire trust, engender loyalty, engage people, dispel entitlement, and get a grip on results.
- Be inspired to be a leader, with or without a title.
ACCOUNTABILITY IN AN AGE OF ENTITLEMENT
The Power Of Agreement
With everyone talking about the need for more accountability in the work place, why is it that accountability is so likely to turn people off? Why is it that unearned entitlement remains so prevalent, both in the workplace and in society? You have to get to the deep meaning and application of accountability. If you don’t, it becomes a hammer to blame and punish people, or at best, just another organizational buzzword.
David Irvine’s proven and practical philosophy and approach to accountability helps leaders build trust, respect, and integrity. It reveals how to banish blame and fear, transform entitlement into ownership, close the gap between intention and success, and get a grip on results.
Leave this session with a renewed and positive perspective on accountability. Based on David’s inspiring best-selling book, Bridges of Trust, this session will illustrate how accountability is not a “program” to be “installed” throughout an organization or a “flavour of the month” management fad. Accountability is an inspiring leadership philosophy that lies at the foundation of both labour and life.
Accountability promises five vital results: 1) Clarity – about your role, direction, and promises; 2) Communication – at a new depth, with the right focus; 3) Alignment – of values, purpose, passion, and agreements; 4) Energy – to build sustained engagement and commitment; and 5) Trust – the one thing that changes everything.
- Inspire people around you by being accountable.
- Inspire your employees to think like owners and foster an accountable attitude at every level of your organization.
- Transform blame, entitlement, and fear into courage, personal responsibility, and commitment – through the power of agreement.
The Power Of Possibility
“In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists.” Eric Hoffer, philosopher.
To survive – and thrive – you have to adapt and embrace change. When you have made a decision to be a leader, you become an agent of change. But where is your road map? Where are your tools? There are eight stages of change. The first is chaos; the eighth is possibility. Once you lead yourself and others to embrace possibility, transforming chaos into confidence, resistance into wisdom, and fear into possibility, you have done your job. Once you’ve mastered the art of embracing change, you will not only build a strong, vital organization, you will build a strong, vital life.
Leave this session with a new view of embracing and leading change from one of Canada’s most respected voices on leadership and organizational culture. You will leave this inspiring session with renewed clarity, confidence, and compassion to lead those you serve through the stages of change.
- Make change inspiring, productive, and creative – through the power of possibility.
- Turn fear and resistance into confidence and commitment – through the power of connection.
- Recognize and lead people through the stages of change in a way that supports both people and change.
THE ART OF CARING LEADERSHIP
Too often we discover at the end of a day that if we aren’t careful, our lives are reduced to looking down at our devices and accomplishing whatever’s on our to-do lists. In the process, we lose our connection with the deeper human need to be present to what surrounds us. Caring connects us with each other, making us the best of who we are and what we can be. Caring is a decision to engage with the world around us.
Caring enriches all facets of our lives. It makes workplaces worth working in, schools worth learning in, our relationships worth being in, and the world worth living in. Caring is everything.
This session, applicable to leaders at any level and in all walks of life, gets to the heart of creating a workplace and a life that matters. Based on David’s newest book, Caring Is Everything, you will leave with an inspiring and thought-provoking message about the vital role that caring serves in every aspect of our lives.
- Learn how caring impacts everything you do: it fosters trust, engages employees, builds loyalty, creates meaning in our lives, and leads to business success.
- Understand the true meaning of service leadership and how to build a more fully human organization.
- Leave with a renewed approach to self-care that will be life-changing: it’s not about work-life balance!
Keeping The Survivors Engaged Amidst The Layoffs
The challenging economy in the resource sector during the past couple of years has placed leaders in a whirlwind of change. Downsizing, reorganizing, and redesigning the organizations we work in are now all part of the norm. Surviving the change has become today’s “business as usual”. Whether you are laying people off, frenetically repositioning yourself in the marketplace or growing your business, managing change is the new reality. In the midst of all the chaos, it’s time to stop and think of the future in new ways.
Take an opportunity to step away from the fray, be inspired, and get renewed perspective from one of Canada’s most respected voices on leadership and organizational culture. David Irvine will show you how to re-examine and think about the future in new ways. Come prepared for a thought-provoking session with practical tools and processes to lead change in an uncertain economic environment.
- Leave with practical insights and strategies for building an engaged culture when you are in the midst of laying people off. Understand how everyone is impacted differently by the change and how to respond effectively to the diverse array of reactions.
- Re-build bridges of trust. Restoring trust, especially after what so many employees have been through in the past twenty months, is mission-critical in organizations today. At the core of effective and productive organizations and teams lie an abundance of mutual trust and respect based upon authentic and accountable connections. Discover ways to restore trust in the demanding environment of continual change.
BUILDING BRIDGES OF TRUST
The Power Of Interpersonal Excellence
Building and restoring trust is mission-critical in organizations today. At the core of effective and productive organizations and teams lies an abundance of mutual trust and respect based upon authentic and accountable connections. Regardless of what you do in your organization and your life, to be successful you must be able to connect with people in a way that builds trust.
With a background in family therapy, David Irvine offers an in-depth approach to interpersonal relationships that you won’t find in mainstream leadership training programs. Leave this engaging, and practical session with the interpersonal skills necessary to build bridges of trust with those who depend on you, and those upon whom you depend.
• Understand how the action of every employee either builds or destroys the culture you work in.
• Inspire deep trust in your organization through the power of interpersonal excellence.
• Embrace conflict in a way that builds trust, respect, and focus.
• Create an environment for your team that encourages participation and creative problem solving and decision-making.
• Build a cohesive, positive, and productive work and team environment through connection and communication skills.
• The accountable performance process: learn a simple and practical process that will inspire your high performers, deal effectively and respectfully with your “non-performers,” and renew your organization.
EVERY EMPLOYEE IS A LEADER
“Leadership is not a title. Leadership is something you earn by the choices you make and the actions you take. It’s about PRESENCE, not position.”
Now more than ever, power, purpose, and privilege do not reside at the top of an organization. They potentially live at every level. We know that great cultures – organizations that exhibit such qualities as employee engagement, credibility, sustained commitment, camaraderie, and pride – can be created at every level. Regardless of your title, leadership is a decision to discover and express your unique talents in the service of others.
Leave this session with a new outlook on the responsibility and opportunity of every employee to build an engaged, energized, and renewed culture from one of Canada’s most respected voices on leadership and personal development. You will leave with a fresh view of who you are as a leader and what you and your organization can become.
The following options are available (to be discussed with David in planning your event):
• Personal Leadership: Discover the keys to be a leader in your organization regardless of your title – even if your boss is not a leader.
• Authenticity: Take accountability for your commitment, engagement, and pride in your work and yourself by bringing more of who you are to what you do.
• Accountability: Leave with a fresh and powerful view of accountability that builds trust, respect, integrity, unleashes human potential, closes the gap between intention and performance, banishes blame and fear, and gets a grip on results.
• Personal Balance: Take responsibility for your own health, well-being, and energy level – in the midst of the demands – by living in alignment with your values.
JOURNEY TO AUTHENTICITY
“Before you can be a real leader, you first have to be a real human being.” – David Irvine
There is one thing all great leaders have in common. They are authentic and make the effort to know what is real about themselves. They understand their motivations, priorities and personal values. A truly rewarding and fulfilling life is about discovering your authentic power – the alignment of what you do with who you are. When you discover this power, you will unlock the key to a rewarding life and the capacity to inspire and influence others.
Based on David Irvine’s best selling book, Becoming Real: Journey To Authenticity, this session will reveal insights and tools to live your highest potential and is designed for any individual who is committed to finding their true voice.
In this personal, provoking, and practical session, David Irvine will take you on a journey to discover your authentic self, the core of who you are. Connecting with your authentic self amplifies your ability to impact the people that you serve. Come prepared for an inspirational and thought-provoking session where David shares his profoundly human viewpoint on authenticity as the foundation of great leadership.
• Discover the path to an undivided life – a life with greater balance, inner peace, and well-being in the midst of relentless demands.
• Connect with your purpose and passion to live in alignment with your authentic self.
• Discover your worth away from your work – so that your work is an expression of yourself, not a definition of who you are.
• Uncover your calling – those actions that align the soul’s desire with the world’s demands.
• Build a community for holding yourself accountable to stay on track.
Succeeding As A Family Business
Working With The Ones You Love
To be sustainable family businesses must be built on the foundation of a strong family.
In this session, learn the fundamentals of family dynamics. You will leave with skills for opening communication within and between generations that will lead to respect, high trust, and clear goals that support both the family and the individual – so the family can run the firm instead of the firm running the family.
Potential topics for a family business audience:
- Building Bridges of Trust – Trust is both a belief in and reliance upon something or someone. It’s about connect-ability and reli-ability. This session offers a practical and proven Accountability Agreement Process™ that ensures highly trusting, accountable relationships within the context of a family business.
- Accountability In An Age Of Entitlement – Without accountability there will be no success – in a family or in a business. How do you ensure that the coming generation has the necessary mind-set to take the business to the next level and make it in the world?
- Succeeding At Succession – In this session you will learn why most family businesses fail to make it past one generation by understanding the three fundamental tasks that are essential for succession success – and a clear path to achieve these tasks.
- Conflict Resolution – Conflict is part of any family and any business. This session focuses specifically on the dynamics of an intergenerational family business and ways to effectively handle conflicts that arise.
- Building An Engaged Business Culture – Authenticity is the ability to align your passion and talents with the needs of the business and is what keeps everyone in a business family engaged, focused, and loyal. This session will provide a practical, meaningful road map to ensure that everyone in your family is finding their voice, and thus sustaining their commitment to themselves, to the family, and to the business.
Coaching And Development Skills
Building a customer service mind-set within your organization starts with a service mind-set toward your employees. This inspiring, engaging leadership development session teaches the fundamentals of service leadership.
A service leader is committed to identifying and meeting the legitimate needs of their people and removing barriers so they can serve the customer. To lead, you must serve. The primary difference between a service leader and a traditional hierarchal manager is that a service leader is committed to helping people reach their highest potential. Service leadership is not a technique. It’s a philosophy for both leading and living.
As a service leader, the aspiration to lead is preceded by a commitment to serve. It’s about choosing service over self-interest.
- What does it mean to be a service leader?
- How do you coach and help your employees grow?
- What is the mind-set necessary for a leader in order to create a service mentality in your organization?
- What is the difference between being a servant and being a “slave” to your staff?
Leadership And Board Governance
Boards serve a vital role that goes beyond simply “getting through the agenda.” As leaders, you have an opportunity – and a responsibility – to inspire and engage people, create a shared vision, foster trust, and build an aligned organization.
The leadership necessary to build a great organization does not come about by accident. It takes intentional action, focused discipline, and life-long learning.
David Irvine offers a renewed view of the fundamentals of leadership, culture, and board governance. Gain, in this session, a revitalized perspective on your leadership responsibility, and strengthen your competence in the practice of leadership as a board.
In this inspiring and interactive session, you will learn practical insights and strategies for building a strong board that serves and fosters your full potential as an organization.
- Learn the fundamentals of board governance, and your key roles and responsibilities as leaders to achieve an aligned, high trust, collaborative, and focused board.
- Develop your mission, vision, and values to ensure that these are current and relevant to your present organization.
- Learn the fundamentals of building a cohesive, high-trust leadership team as a board. A healthy culture starts with a healthy board.
Raising Accountable Young People
Parenting in today’s fast-paced, self-indulgent culture of entitlement is not easy. Never has there been a more important time to instill accountability in young people and help them grow into adults capable of facing life with self-reliance.
With over thirty years of experience as a family therapist, youth leader, parent, and mentor to executives, David Irvine understands the importance of raising responsible, resourceful and resilient children who treat themselves and others with dignity and respect.
David’s unique perspective and dynamic, down-to-earth approach will challenge, inspire, and guide parents to:
- Balance supports and demands…to nurture accountability in young people.
- Instill an accountable mind-set in youth – a commitment to full citizenship rather than consumerism.
- Lead young people with a new understanding of rights, responsibilities and contribution.
- Work together with teachers to cultivate accountability with youth.
Be prepared for a new awareness of yourself as a parent. You will be supported, stimulated and energized as David inspires you in your challenging and important role as a parent in today’s changing world.
This presentation can be a valuable add-on to any corporate event where spouses can be invited for an engaging and inspiring evening presentation.
Building Bridges of Trust
The Foundation Of Leadership
A Two-Day Intensive Leadership Development Opportunity
With David Irvine and Dale Stewart
“Trust is the glue of life. It’s the most essential ingredient in effective communication. It’s the foundational principle that holds all relationships.” – Stephen Covey
Trust is the keystone of success – both in leadership and in life. It’s the new global currency. It crosses cultures and generations. Trust lies at the foundation of every relationship and is perhaps the most important issue facing the world today. Building and restoring trust is your number one leadership challenge, and your number one accountability as a leader.
Take this opportunity to gain a new perspective on trust in today’s world from one of Canada’s most respected voices on leadership and organizational culture. But rather than gaining simply greater knowledge and an intellectual understanding of trust, you will leave with an experience of shifting the fundamental way you build trust in your relationships. You will leave with a new view of who you are as a leader and a fresh vision of what your organization can become – through your capacity to build trust.
Leaders will benefit from this workshop by being able to:
- Recognize, describe, and demonstrate positive authentic trust building behaviours.
- Demonstrate essential skills for trust building with employees who exhibit trust blocking behaviours.
- Develop and demonstrate a personal process to build trust with individuals who exhibit blocking behaviours.
- Achieve greater authenticity in all relationships.
- Develop the capacity to build and maintain trust with groups.
Organizations will benefit by having leaders:
- Assist employees to develop accountability.
- Develop organizational “simplicity” by “maximizing the amount of work not done” for greater efficiency.
- Assist in developing capacities and skills in managing conflict amongst teams.
- Develop skills to manage meetings where conflict arises, thus decreasing wasted time and efforts.
A 3 Day Retreat/ Open Workshop
The Other Everest – Navigating the Pathway to Authentic Leadership